Who Needs a Diet?

Welcome to my attempt at figuring out how to live a healthy life, while not giving up things I truly love to do and eat!

4.11.2010

Chef for a Week in One Day!

I am exhausted!!!

After my earlier post, Kyle and I headed out for a 3 mile walk around Lake Artemesia. It was so nice outside, really warm with light breezes. I definitely prefer more intense workouts, but it was nice to take advantage of the weather before it got too hot.

Lunch was supposed to be at home, but again we made a last minute switch to grab something out. Of course no camera, but I had a pita with falafel, lettuce, tomato, tzatziki, and onion. The wrap fell apart, so I only ate half of that but finished the falafel and veggies. Also, I had my daily ration of diet coke!

I then went to the grocery store FINALLY! Considering how little food we have, I was able to plan out the week and get everything we needed plus lightbulbs, TP, and toiletries for $140... no small feat!

Produce:

  • HUGE spaghetti squash :-)
  • gala apples
  • 2 packs portobello mushrooms
  • baby carrots
  • red onion
  • jumbo yellow onions
  • 1 mango
  • 3 avocados (1 ripe, 2 to ripen his week)
  • bananas
  • 2 green peppers
  • spinach
  • serrano pepper
  • jalapeno pepper
Deli:


  • pack of thin sliced chicken breasts
  • 1/2 lb. lean turkey
  • roasted garlic hummus
  • plain greek yogurt
  • mexican blend cheese
  • smoked salmon
Non-perishables:
  • salsa verde
  • ZEBRA CAKES!
  • hot fudge/mint topping
  • jar of marinated artichoke hearts
  • 2 bottle of CHOLULA
  • 2 cans no-salt diced tomatoes
  • 4 lunas
  • 1 cliff bar
Beverages:

  • 1/2 gallon of milk
  • 4 Fuze slenderize
FUN!

I also got some bread, but it got tucked away before my camera caught it!

This afternoon I worked in the kitchen making 3 dishes that can be used to make several different meals.
  1. Spaghetti Squash
  2. Chicken Verde
  3. Tomato Artichoke Pasta Sauce
I did this because Ky and I are both trying to finish up our final papers to graduate, so we wanted to have to do as little work as possible this week in terms of meals. Luckily everything I made is really healthy, not to mention quick to throw together!

Spaghetti Squash
I have made this on the blog several times before, but I usually bake it. This time I boiled it... takes a little longer than baking but so worth it!

1) Scrub squash clean
2) Place in a put that is either large enough to cover the squash with water, or be prepared to rotate the squash every 5-10 minutes for it to cook through
3) Fill pot with water and set to boil.

I let this guy cook as I made everything else, turning it with wooden spoons every 5-10 minutes for 40-45 minutes.
5. The squash is done when it is fork tender
6. Cut in half, and gut the seeds (SO MUCH EASIER WHEN ALREADY COOKED!)
7. Shred with a fork

Chicken Verde
I have also made this before on the blog, but I decided I wanted to make a batch that could be reused in multiple ways over a few days. That meant that instead of baking it, I needed to prepare it in a way that wouldn't dry it out while cooking or sitting in the fridge.

  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 1.5 jars of salsa verde
  • 1/2 bag of mexican cheese
  • 1 can diced chiles
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1.3 lbs chicken breast
1) Boil chicken as you dice garlic and onion

2) Transfer cooked chicken to a bowl, and shred by hand or with two forks

3) Heat one tablespoon oil in a skillet; sautee onions until translucent
4) add garlic and cook 30 seconds until fragrant

5) Add in salsa verde and shredded chicken, blend well and let simmer 10 minutes

6) Blend in the cheese, and voila!

A delicious, creamy filler! Can be used
  • in a salad
  • burritos/tacos
  • pumped up with mixed, roasted veggies

Pasta Sauce!
  • 1 large jar marinated artichokes, coarsely chopped
  • 1 pack sliced bellas
  • 2 cans no-salt tomatoes
  • 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper
  • hot pepper flakes
1) Drain excess liquid from artichokes into a bowl with chopped onions
2) Sauté onions in oils until translucent

3) Add in baby bellas, cooking thoroughly with some salt and pepper

4) Stir in artichokes and as many hot pepper flakes as you want

5) When thoroughly mixed, add both cans of tomatoes, with juices

6) let simmer a few minutes to heat through and blend all the flavors

Can be used:
  • to make a soup with added veggie broth
  • a tasty wrap by straining extra liquid
  • pasta sauce on squash or regular pasta
Now we have three delicious items to use throughout the week without worrying about calories or wasting time!


While cooking I had 1/2 cup of juicy juice, and some zebra cakes!


While tasty, my falafel pita did not fill me up, and my sugary snack sure didn't, either! I had dinner at about 5:30, my leftovers from last night topped with 1/3 and avocado!

It was pretty good.... love the veggies topped with fresh avocado! I also had a miller:

Now I am settling back into work mode, looking for a nice early bedtime tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment