Who Needs a Diet?

Welcome to my attempt at figuring out how to live a healthy life, while not giving up things I truly love to do and eat!

4.19.2010

3,000+ Leg Lifts in 30 minutes...

Not sure if you knew, BUT I LOVE THE ARC TRAINER. After filling up on an unpictured 1/3 bowl of savory oatmeal, I hit the gym:
  • 3o minutes arc trainer, level 9 weight loss
I think I like it because I notice a big change already in my thighs, abs, and badonkadonk. On the arc trainer you almost lean back while doing 100+ strides a minute, so if you are on a higher level of intensity, you are seriously doing leg lifts for 30 minutes. It really works your core because you have to keep your balance while constantly moving. Loves it.

After the gym I ran to grocery store, sorry no photo session today. I was too busy! In fact, by the time I went to the gym, went to the store, unpacked everything, and started dinner prep, it was already 12:30. The last thing I wanted to do was waste more time cooking something for lunch, so I hopped in the car and did a bad BAD thing:

$1 4-piece chicken nugget and $1 small fries. :-) I'm quite happy with myself! Plus 2 cans of diet coke (don't judge!)

I worked until 4:30 pm, when I grabbed a banana and picked up Ky.

Then, it was time to make my Indian feast! Several weeks ago Kyle and I got some Indian seasoning packets from My Organic Market (MOM's), because they had to be super healthy. Last night when making our grocery list, I decided to base a few dinner/lunches on them.


When I started looking at the recipes, I was shocked. The chicken wanted 3/4 cup of oil, and the chickpeas 1/3 cup. That is a hell of a lot of oil; even divided up into 6 servings. So, I got creative and changed the recipes to be a LOT healthier!

Yogurt Chicken Tikka Masala
Ingredients*
  • spice packet
  • lg container greek yogurt
  • 1 1/4 lb chicken tenders/breasts (tenders are easier to chunk!)
  • 8 oz tomato sauce
  • 1 can no-salt tomatoes
  • 1 cup yellow onion diced
  • 1 small can green chiles
  • 1-2 minced garlic cloves
*THERE IS NO GINGER IN THIS DESPITE THE PHOTO

Directions:
1. Stir spice packet into greek yogurt; let sit overnight in fridge

2. Mix in tomato sauce to make it creamy, then add chicken. Let sit in fridge for 4-6 hours.


3. Heat a skillet on medium heat with 1 tbsp oil, sauté onion until translucent

4. Add in chiles and garlic, cook until garlic is fragrant 30-60 seconds (DON'T BURN IT!)

5. Stir in can of tomatoes with juices

6. Add in chicken in yogurt marinade (either dump it all, or fish out chicken if you don't want it too creamy)

7. Stir well, bring to boil, then simmer and cover, stirring every few minutes
8. Test chicken 15-20 minutes later to see if cooked through


Spiced Chickpeas
Ingredients
  • spice packet
  • 2 15 oz cans chickpeas
  • 1 can no salt added tomatoes
  • 1 cup diced yellow onion
  • 1-2 garlic cloves
  • 1 small spoonful of ginger paste

Directions
1. Mix spices with canned tomatoes

2. Mix in Chickpeas; cook immediately or let marinate in fridge

3. Heat 1 tbsp oil on medium heat; sauté onion until translucent
4. Add in garlic and ginger, stirring to blend

5. Add chickpea mixture, bring to boil then simmer while stirring occassionally

6. Let heat through for 20 minutes

Cucumber Salad
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 english cucumber, diced
  • 2 diced tomatoes
  • 1/3 diced red onion
  • 1 tbsp greek yogurt
  • cilantro to garnish

Directions
1. Mix all diced veggies together with yogurt and cilantro

I served the meal with Jasmine rice, which came in little boil-able packets:

I made one packet which had two servings. Then I garnished each dish with cilantro:

My plate of rice, cucumber salad, chicken, and chickpeas:

It was all really good, and despite not having that traditional oily finish, it was very tasty! I am excited to see how the spices develop over the next few days. I have some great ideas for more meals with the leftovers :-)

Now I am off to do more work, what else? Just a few more days, then I am home free (literally). Looking forward to relaxing in Durham with my parents this weekend!!

1 comment: